Monday, October 12, 2009

Sense of Place


While looking over last years projects I saw plenty that were wonderful. I noticed alot of people commented on Sarah's Shaping Meaning Lightbox and I must say I thought it was fantastic. I could watch that video over and over of how the shapes come out when the light is added. I love learning something new, and this gave me new ideas to carry into a classroom. I could imagine how a class of of 3rd graders would erupt when they saw their images light up.

In this image I used collage of photographs. I see an image in my mind that I cannot find in real life. From this idea I find different parts of images and manipulate them to create what I want; an image that means something to me from two or more that ultimately mean nothing. Here, I have exactoed (real word?) the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, blacked it out, and placed it to create a perfect horizon and back drop to some random girl walking in thought on the shore. Neither picture really does it for me, but together they fulfill my desire for a fantasy location that does not really exist. In the second image, I have shown a different picture with this same philosophy. I took a picture of the Cologne Cathedral, but I did not like it's location. So I put it in a field. I did not like the dull sky, so I gave it one that most closely fit my desired location.

2 comments:

  1. How did you create your bridge/girl image?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut it out with an xacto and it worked, but it looked kind of junky so I improved upon it by doing it in photoshop. I know the assignment was for non digital tools, but I spent so much time on it I was too stubborn to switch to something else ;)

    ReplyDelete